Friday, October 27, 2006
Gotta get this off my chest!
There is something that has really been bothering me lately. Actually it's bothered me for the past several years. So today, I'm gonna get it all out! Ready?

I love what Dr. Phil has done for this country. He has made us all aware of what we need to do in order to be emotionally healthy and stable. He has made us realize that we often need counseling, rehab and more. Then there is Oprah! She has been able to get us to talk about our childhood, figure out where the wound originally started and she has even been able to get a few people to come out of the closet. I like Oprah and I record her show on my TiVo/DVR daily so I can watch it when there is something I find interesting. I don't agree with some things Dr. Phil says, I really don't agree with some things Oprah says but I respect them and I believe they have done a lot of things for the emotional health of many Americans. While I do believe that emotional health is very important, I do not believe that counseling is the ONLY way for someone to find emotional healing in their life.

Counseling works, no doubt! I have been in counseling on and off in my life since I was a teenager. Counseling has enabled me to see a lot in my life and change it. Counseling has given me tools to become a better person, no doubt! There are women I talk to that I KNOW need counseling. And I really hate the term Christian counseling so I will say that many of us need counseling from a counselor that is a Christ follower. (I'm almost done with Rob Bell's book and I like how he says it is dangerous to use Christian as an adjective. It's a NOUN!) My point is, I am really sick of the word counseling being thrown out there like it is the cure all. It is not! It is often a must, yes. It is definitely something that many people need and I believe that it is a tool that God can use to bring about healing. BUT, it will not heal someone. It will not cure someone. It will not make everything better because there is only one thing that can bring healing. Jesus!

Last night I could not sleep so I decided to watch one of my recorded episodes of Oprah. This episode was all about women that had been through Gastric Bypass then after the surgery became addicted to drugs or alcohol. Their addiction to food was transferred to something else. The statistics were outrageous. I used to have a Debate teacher in High school that said "statistics lie and liars tell statistics!" So I have held on to that belief. But since I know someone that this has actually happened to, I believe it is a serious problem. I did have a friend who had Gastric Bypass and while everyone was telling her how amazing she looked, she was addicted to pain pills and alcohol. Six months after the surgery, she was in rehab. As I watched the Oprah episodes and listened to the stories it was obvious that these women had an addiction to food because of many different things. Mainly it was abuse as a child. They kept thinking that if they lost the weight, they would be happy. But soon realized that the pain was still there and all the comfort they found in food had to be found in something else. These women were food addicts, now drug and alcohol addicts. Listening to the women tell their stories, I could not help but cry. I wanted to wrap my arms around them and tell them how their life can be changed forever. I wanted to tell them about someone that loves them so much that he died for them. I wanted to tell them how beautiful they were. I wanted to tell them that JESUS is the great counselor and he can heal their pain. Well, I could not do that so I had to listen to Dr. Robin (the Dr. Phil replacement on Oprah) analyze these women and explain to them how much they needed help. Of course there is no way someone on national television, especially on Oprah, is going to say anything about the Word of God or Jesus or Christ. Maybe every once in a while you will hear GOD but it's in a very generic way.

I can think of a lot of my family members that need counseling. A lot! And boy would it do them good! I recently went to a counseling appointment and it was very beneficial. I walked out of there with a new thought, a new take, a new idea. It helped! The last thing my family wants to hear is me trying to get them in counseling. In fact, it can sound very high and mighty so I continue to focus on myself an not worry about all of their issues. But one thing I can do for them is PRAY and claim the Word of God over them and not let THEIR issues become mine!! I do not like how our society feels the freedom to tell everyone they need counseling. Christians are the worst! Instead of trying to get them into counseling, why don't we sit down and ask them if we can pray for them? Better yet, why don't we just get on our knees and pray without them even knowing it. And here's the deal Christians, people need to be SAVED! (Here's some slang for you) If they aint' saved, they aint' gonna get any better! The only thing that is going to make someone better, the only thing that is going to HEAL someone's life is Jesus! Why is that so hard to get?

Then we have our seasoned Christians, people that know God's Word but don't tap into any of it. We go to counseling appointments, we watch Oprah, Dr. Phil and probably listen to Dr. Laura on the radio but we don't meditate on the Word of God. The Word of God is MEDICINE! He tells us what to do in His word. Many of us don't read it, don't study it, don't tap into it's power. Well, I think that is what TRULY brings about HEALING. Counseling is good, yes. But the Word of God gives us LIFE!

(Slang again) We all got problems folks! We all need fixin' and none of us have it all together! So how about gettin' out the Word of God and claiming it over our lives and our friend's lives and our family's lives? THEN, let's go to counseling!

And just so you know, this rant is not about me! This isn't about anyone I know. It's just about the world we live in and something that has been bothering me for a long time.

Try claiming these over your life today! It will be the best fix you have ever had!


"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please."
Galatians 5:16-17

"Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." Galatians 5:24-25

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death."
Romans 8:2

"For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. However you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you."
Romans 8:5-9

"Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
Colossians 3:1-3

"Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever."
1 John 2:15-17

"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world- our faith. Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."
1 John 5:4-5

"You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world."
1 John 4:4

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Phillipians 4:6-7

"Finally, bretheren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, wheatever is of good repute , if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."
Phillipians 4:8-9

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
Phillipians 4:13

"Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
James 4:7

  posted at 9:23 AM
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 8:45 AM, Blogger mommyofangels said...

You are so right. The Word of God is the best medicine.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Paula said...

All our answers are found in the Bible. God is the way and the truth. We just need to accept it, but sometimes we don't want to hear what God has to say.
Love you!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger V. said...

this is SO RIGHT ON sister!

I could respond with a rather lengthy blog of my own, but I'll keep it short.

We are conditioned to look for answers. We tend to look EVERYWHERE before we look to God.

In order for HIS POWER to flow through us, and for us to be VICTORIOUS, He must be OUR SOURCE.

Why is this so hard for us to get? (me included!) I know that God is calling me to a life of holiness....I am learning what that means, and I am asking for more understanding.

if there is any message that our generation needs to hear it is that GOD is all powerful, He cares about every detail of our lives and HE WILL RESPOND. We can't have one foot in the world and think he will find that acceptable.

After I prayed one day, I wrote some things down that I heard from God. He said he was no longer satisfied with half-gifts. He is calling us and many are choosing the gnashing of teeth, many are choosing comfort and security. He is not satisfied with that.

I know what that means in my life and I am praying and re-arranging the things in my life that need to change to a God-perspective.

Thanks for your good words today!

V.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree..we shouldn't expect someone that is not a Christian to live like they are. The real problem really is that they need Jesus. I love what "v." said about us being conditioned to look for answers and that we tend to look everywhere before we look to God. So true!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger uuu said...

AMEN Sister - we Christians are among the blessed! We have the sources to tap into - God's Word and discernment to determine when we need additional intervention, but we are ALSO among the most "ignorant" sometimes. We LOVE to point out those that need help, but don't want to really do much about it!

Love the verses you chose - have jotted them down in my journal for personal use --- thanks!! :)

I LOVE YOU GIRL - you are such AN inspiration.

By the way -- I'll be looking for a new pic of you on your blog! :)

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Christy said...

Girl you are right on! Alot of things may help temporary but the word of God is our medicine , HE is our life... I find that everything I ever face HE is the answer! You must hate it nights when you can't sleep but God sure speaks to you during those times! Take it ALL in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


Back in the saddle again!
Don't you just LOVE blogger?
My best friend in Tennessee
Site meter
This is all I've got today!
Where's MY red carpet?
Soooooooooo tired!
Desiree's shower
a blog gone bad!
This won't be a popular post!

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: