Tuesday, October 24, 2006
My best friend in Tennessee
Since moving a little over a year ago, I have been a little lonely. Our last home was directly across the street from my best friend. We built across the street from one another on purpose. While I totally love my new house, new neighborhood and new community, I have yet to connect. Meeting new people used to be fun, exciting and fulfilling to me. Now it is more of a pain! I know what you are thinking. Not a very good attitude to have! I'm good at being a Mom and a wife but I lack some serious skills in maintaining my friendships. It's work and right now I am at a place where I don't feel like I have energy to give to anyone else except those that I already have a foundation with. My family, a couple of girlfriends and that's it. So, I don't really try anymore. I find that I am changing a lot. I am much more content with having a few to spend time with and that's it. In a few short months I will be the mother of three children and I am quite sure that will take up pretty much all of my spare time. :)And I am okay with that. It's just sometimes I think maybe I am not okay with just knowing a few people around here.

Honestly, I am very lonely. I am not sure what is realistic anymore, all I have to go off of is what I had when I lived in my old house. The thing I had that I don't have now is a phone ringing off the hook, an inbox full of invites and a buddy to drive to the mall with or exchange recipes with. Now I have to take both kids to the OB appointments with me, hair appointments and much more. It was nice having someone to switch off with for important errands. I miss that and so much more.

The Lord knows my heart and He knows how lonely I have been. So a few months ago, he sent me a friend. I would love to tell you that she lives in my cul-de-sac, in my city or even across town but she doesn't. In fact, we have never met face to face. She came to my blog one day and commented and instantly I knew I liked this girl. I talk to her almost every single day and sometimes two and three times a day. I don't have to try hard to convince her of anything, I don't have to be anyone else but myself and I can pretty much say ANYTHING and trust that she knows my heart! It was an instant connection spiritually, emotionally, etc. But it was not a geographic connection! She lives in Tennessee, I live in Texas! We like the same things, we like to shop at the same places, we both love to cook, we both deal with similar things and we both are at very similar points in our walk with Christ and seem to be dealing with some of the same exact stuff.I have no doubt, no doubt at all that if Paula lived here, we would be the best of friends. We have decided that her little boy and my little girl would make a great couple someday and if we became family, we would see each other all the time! My husband has already told me we can go to Tennessee in the Spring and Paula has promised me she will come to Texas too! So, there is hope in sight!

I am constantly wishing Paula was here to cook with, shop with, pray with and hang out with all the time but she's not. The Lord has a plan, I have to trust that! This season I am in was always in His plan. I know that! And I am so thankful I have someone to talk to on the phone daily about silly stuff, important stuff and whatever else. Paula challenges me and makes me a better woman! This is a good kind of friend to have! If it wasn't for this silly little blogging thing, I never would have met my friend Paula!

I love you Paulie!

(Be sure and check out her blog. She is very inspiring and such a beautiful woman!)

  posted at 4:36 PM
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Amanda

You are making my head so BIG!! That is just the sweetest thing ever said about me. Thank you so much.
Like you, I am lonely. I no longer teach, so I don't have a circle of women or friends to talk to.
So God in His divine power brought us together!:) HE IS SO GOOD! We get encouragement, a laugh, venting and just plain ole gabbing when ever needed. I love this friendship. And when we do finally get to meet.....watch out Jeremy and Chris.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful that God has brought you together in a way you probably never would have expected. I have "met" so many wonderful women through blogging, including you. It has been great for a me as a stay at home mom to have a connection w/other moms, especially on those lonley days.

I appreciate you and your heart. Thanks for being one of these women that has challenged me and made me smile. Love ya!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Can I just echo what Wendy said?! SO true SO true. I am so thankful for these wonderful friendships I have made through blogging too. You just never know what God has in store for you. Maybe one day you two WILL be neighbors?! But I do relate to what you said. I think it's part of the ageing process! Hugs to you :)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I just visited Paula's site and instantly knew why you and she would connect. She's a doll.

I know what you're saying about feeling lonely, Amanda, but trust me. Sometimes embracing the peace and quiet of a non-ringing phone can be a blessing. And I've always, always been the kind of person to have just a very few close friends. I have lots of aquaintances but my few friends are who matter to me.

Sometimes less is more. You know?

I'm so excited about the new baby. Soon, soon. Sigh....

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Karla Porter Archer said...

I went through this same thing when we were in Wisconsin. Had to take the kids everywhere. Never made any close connections (though I tried).

I have 3 kids and limited time for getting out and making friends.

I'm praying the Lord will send someone in BloggityLand to "be my friend."

Blessings to you,
Karla
http://karlascrazylife.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

That is beautiful! I love that we meet such kindred spirits via the blogosphere. I, too, have met a friend like that through my blog and I find myself thanking God for her, and women like you, every day. Most of you encourage me to grow, give great advice and support, and I just love this network of women. I'm sure you'll have a WONDERFUL time in Tennessee!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Very similar to what we have been talking about deal with friendships....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


Site meter
This is all I've got today!
Where's MY red carpet?
Soooooooooo tired!
Desiree's shower
a blog gone bad!
This won't be a popular post!
a journal entry online (basically that's what this...
Our favorite park
Pumpkin Patch 2006

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: