Friday, October 20, 2006
Site meter
I have always had a site meter on my blog. You don't see it, it's the invisible kind. Over at my old blog site, I forgot to check it. Since beautiful Susie created my new site, I have had new people arrive. So thank you Susie! New ladies that I had no idea were out there have come to check out my new blogging home. Changing my blog has brought more readers and I did not expect that to happen but I love it!

I love going to the site meter and seeing that someone in Russia, Spain, Brazil, Canada, Thailand, Australia and France come to my site. If they come once, then they may have ended up on my page by accident but when I see that they are a returning visitor, I get excited! I have way more people that read than comment and that is totally okay with me. To see that someone has made a point to check out my site and see what I have written really makes me feel blessed and it also reminds me of the responsibility I have to maintain integrity on this site. Who knows! Maybe my favorite President, George W. is reading or better, his wife! Maybe Oprah is reading and will someday show up at my door with a limousine and plane ticket to her FAVORITE THINGS episode! (Which is only a few weeks away!!) You never know, do you? You just never know!

The other day one of my really good friends mentioned her pastor on her blog by his name. Well apparently someone googled this pastor's name, felt hate towards him and decided to BASH the pastor on my friend's site. My friend was hurt pretty bad and her comment moderator was not turned on. It is now! She decided to check it out on her site meter and actually figured out who said such bad things ANONYMOUSLY about her pastor. You see the person commented from their work laptop while traveling and it all showed up on the site meter. Everyone has an IP address! It's kind of like your fingerprint. Did you know that? Well the IP address showed this person's company and instantly my friend knew who it was. She deleted the comment of course and did nothing else. There was no confrontation to be made but my friend KNEW who it was. While the person tried to be anonymous, they failed. The IP address gave their hateful secret away. My friend was trying to brag on her pastor and a mean spirited former church member had so much hate in their heart, they googled the pastor, then slandered on my friend's blog. So an IP address isn't always great. An anonymous comment is a JOKE. You are never anonymous! Really I think it's a coward thing to do! It happened to me once too. Some tacky anonymous comments were coming in on my blog so I decided to check it out. I saw the city and state and time the comment was left and I knew. It's kind of shocking and that kind of discovery isn't great to discover but 99.9% of the time, the site meter is wonderful!

One of my close friends from Junior High and High School works in Austin at the capital. She is a librarian! Very smart just like another former librarian we all know, Laura Bush. Anyway, when she comes to my blog, I know! Otherwise I would think someone from my state capital in Austin was WATCHING me! Also I have those reading that work at hospitals, attend or work at Universities (Big universities), School Districts and many other places of business. I love it! I love these people that find what I have to say interesting or who knows maybe they come back every day to just be annoyed. I hope not!

Currently I have someone that is reading my blog every day during the week that has a fascinating IP address. Seriously, it's fascinating and very exciting when I see that they have come to my site. The city, the state, the location of where they do their line of business daily, is fascinating and I would love for them to send an email to let me know who they are. Their IP address would either scare you or delight you. Well, I must say that I am delighted.

We really have no idea who is reading our blogs. It's such a privilege that we have and we should take it very seriously. I really make an effort to be careful when I disclose things about my family. I want to honor them even when they have hurt me. I want to share my pain, even if it's not pretty. Articles I have read in the newspaper criticize people like me for writing about their life on a blog. But I stand firm in this, I don't care. However, I do think it is very dangerous for us to rip people apart on our blogs. I see blogs where people are ripping our President apart. I realize that is politics but it's harsh. I don't agree with every thing that is going on in our country right now. I don't understand a lot of it. I do vote a certain way and I don't EVER see that changing and I choose to honor who God has chosen to have power over this country. LOTS of political bashing going on these days on both sides.

Then I see blogs that talk about reality TV stars. Some may be criticizing American Idol contestants or Survivor contestants. A site meter will really open your eyes when it comes to talking about specific people on your blog. I think about this with my family too. Am I careful enough? Not everyone in my family has my blog site address or even knows I have a blog and I would like to keep it that way. But I still have to be careful. Anyone can google their name and be taken to the exact site where their name was mentioned, praised or slandered. It happens with authors, pastors, celebrities, political figures. And just about every single blog I have seen where bashing goes on,usually ends up being a Christ follower. We are not perfect, no. But maybe would should be a little more careful.

It's easy to do. It's easy to criticize and discuss the things in life we don't particularly like or things we down right abhor. I may not always please those that come to my site. They may not agree with my spiritual outlook, my political stands or who I want to win American Idol next May but I do want them to feel something when they come here. When someone comes to my home, I always pray that they will feel a warm, accepting, Godly spirit. The same goes for my blog. There are blogs I visit where I can instantly discern that the person writing is humble and gracious. I'm pretty sure that if I visited their home, I would feel the same exact way.

For all of you coming to my blog, remaining unknown, that's okay. I am so blessed and honored that you come each day. I pray that my words mean something to you and that God can use me to speak into your life. And if you ever decide to reveal who you are, I will be honored.

  posted at 9:12 AM
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Paula said...

Amanda~ It sounds so fun to see who is coming for a visit. I have know doubt that anyone would feel the Holy Spirit jumping out of you. Like I told you before, I feel like I owe you money after talking to you. It is like being at a womens conference!
You sound really good. I can tell by the tone of this blog you coming or are out of your funk. I'm glad. I will continue to pray for you!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, If Oprah shows up at your door for the favorite things show, I'm coming with you. :-)

I check my site meter occasionally too and it is fun to see where people are and who is reading. I also like the security of knowing I can track things. Sad we have to think about things like that though, huh.

I completely agree w/you about being responsible for what we say on our blogs. We need to take that really seriously.

I've been praying for you this week as well.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Very well stated and very, very true, Amanda. We never know who's reading what we write. We should always use caution and care. Thank you for the reminder.

(And I like your bangs - very flattering.)

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not remember how I stumbled on your blog. You are a lot like me, very blunt and honest about your feelings and struggles. I dont have a blog but I read other people's who I feel like are real and honest.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put. I agree about the overwhelming responsibility for integrity here on our blogs.
On a personal note, I recently wrote that blog about beauty, and my mom read it and said she felt sad because she said that she remembers telling me I was beautiful. Do you think it is possible that they did tell me that but I just don't remember?
How would you hande this?

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I stumbled across your blog from another mom blogger site. I don't know you but I am drawn to your site and your outlook on things. My husband and I are going through a difficult time with my daughter (multiple open heart surgeries) and reading God's word and other Godly women's sites is my outlet. I long to be the kind of wife and mother God wants me to be. I don't have a blog and therefore I have never commented. I just want to say so many days, your blog topics have jumped out at me. Thanks for having the courage to speak what God lays on your heart.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I love my site meter and I know exactly what you mean when you say that you feel honored by the visits. =) I agree with maintaining integrity on our blogs, I know that I want everything I write to bring honor and glory to Him. Even if I am using it as my own personal journal...

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I hope you don't mind that I stopped by to take a peek at your blog. I absolutely loved it. It wasn't it's decor or it's content. It was actually you! Somehow when we read what people have to say, we get a view into their heart. Into the kind of person they are are, and it's your personality that came through and made me smile. I hope you don't mind my stopping by from time to time to read your blog and say hello.

I am new to blogger. Just registered today. I am planning on having a few blogs. One that is called Adriana's Epic and it's just about me and my every day life, and the other one is about my relationship with my boyfriend who I am love dearly. I am also pregnant so I will start one for my baby girl. I am going to be super busy! lol

Thanks for letting me see your blog. Keep writing. You have a wonderful way about you.

Adriana

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Karla Porter Archer said...

I love checking my site meter too. I've had some repeat readers who i am itching to know who they are.

I pray daily that my blog will touch someones life for Christ.

Blessings to you!
Karla

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hello,
Since your most recent post included me I felt like I should leave a comment. I am currently living in Russsia with my husband and baby girl. We moven to Russia from Alsaka just over a month ago. I began blogging a little before we arrived in Russia mainly as a way for me to keep in touch with my family, which is spread all over. I am not sure how I found your blog, but I am glad I have. I enjoy the glimpse into your life and it refreshes me because I have limited conversations with people since I am just beginning to learn the Russian language. Anyway I appreciate your honesty and I will hopefully be visiting your blog often.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger V. said...

Glad you are looking there - then you know I've still been around even if I'm not posting comments!

...just been busy...I'll email you to catch you up soon!

Love you,

V.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Borbe Bunch said...

Hello Amanda,
Just wanted to say HI and that I was thinking of you...
LOVE the new look of your blog....maybe one day I will do the same :)
OH, and the site meter thing, not too up to date with how to do that?? Maybe an email to me, you can help?? Only if you have the time...K, LOVE to you and God bless...how are you feeling???
My pregnancy is drawing near the end :) Yippee! I am sooo ready to hold my son IN MY ARMS and not my ribs :) he he....
Love ya,
Liz
p.s. my C day is Nov 9th...in case you wanted to know :)

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger mamashine said...

Amanda, I keep reading your blog because God does use you every day. I love hearing your insights about things that make me think.

I don't comment very often because I've read more than one post where you ask that we don't. And to be honest, most of your posts look serious to me, and I respect the fact that sometimes it's just for you and you don't want advice. :) Maybe that's taking it a bit far, because I know most people do want comments on their blog. I'd just rather be quiet than say something wrong.

Keep on writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


This is all I've got today!
Where's MY red carpet?
Soooooooooo tired!
Desiree's shower
a blog gone bad!
This won't be a popular post!
a journal entry online (basically that's what this...
Our favorite park
Pumpkin Patch 2006
A daily fight to be who I am

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: