Wednesday, August 22, 2007
She Runs
Today is a running day. My body is actually beginning to crave those early evening runs. I find myself disappointed on the rest days because of the strength I have built from training. I crave it!

The past several days I have been thinking about how much running symbolizes my walk with Christ. One of my favorite scriptures is Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Today I looked up the verse in different translations and found that it jumps off the page for me in The Message translation.

1-3 Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!

There are several parts in this translation that really speak to me. Strip down, start running- and never quit! I can't tell you how many times I thought about quitting in the beginning of our runs. My body constantly fought the urge to walk instead of run. The pain in my side, the pain in my shins, the difficulty in keeping a steady pace, I longed to stop and walk. It's in those moments that I am reminded of how much I struggle at times to keep going with things I have committed to or things that I am responsible for or even my relationships. I've had moments in my marriage where I really felt I could not longer do it. I never contemplated divorce but I thought about not caring anymore. As a Mom, I struggle to find creativity in my parenting. I struggle to stay positive and some mornings I wake up with a longing for no responsibility at all. When friendships get difficult, I would much rather choose flight instead of fight. I would much rather think of myself instead of them, especially if there is conflict. It's much easier to be a slave to fear, laziness or anger. It's much harder to strip down and run the race marked for me to run.

Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in.

One of the things I prayed this morning was that the Holy Spirit would convict me when I take my eyes off Jesus. I do it so often! I know I do it because when I take my eyes off him, my entire perspective changes. Instead of seeing peace, I see strife. Instead of seeing blessings, I see troubles. When I take my eyes off of Him for one second, I lose my place in the race. I get further and further from the finish line.

Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever.

If you ever decide to run, you have to know it's hard in the beginning. The aches and pains, the soar muscles, the difficulty with being steadfast and the way you even have to train your mind to keep you going is very tough. I can honestly say that it has gotten so much easier physically and mentally. I don't want to quit in the middle of the run. Instead of the desire to walk, I have a desire to keep on running and a desire to push through any pain I may feel. I constantly think about the finish. I envision the church parking lot constantly because that is where we always end. The last mile, I can see the church and just being able to see the place where I will finish, keeps me moving and often makes me pick up the pace. It's in those moments that I can't lose sight of where I am headed, that exhilarating finish in and with God, my true running partner. Along the way I may have to endure a soar muscle, an ache in my side or a an upset stomach, but I put up with it because I see the finish! Life is full of difficult things. Heartache, tragedy, disappointments, whatever you want to call it. Pain we will endure, but we press on. For the finish line is within sight. And for that, I will put up with anything!

And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!

I love that! The long litany of hostility he plowed through! Jesus really did it all for us! He plowed through and there is nothing, absolutely nothing we can't do when we run in His strength. I can run the race and have joy. I can run the race and have peace. I can run the race and have strength!

And she runs to the finish line victoriously...

Labels:


  posted at 12:15 PM
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

what a beautiful look at scripture..thank you!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Gina said...

That was beautiful and although I'm not a runner, I can see why people do it. Great couple of posts Girl! :o)

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Amy... said...

ugh...just tried to post a comment and then my computer shut down by itself. Possessed, I tell you;)

Basically, I just wanted to tell you that I can relate to the part about follow-through...big time! This part: "I struggle at times to keep going with things I have committed to or things that I am responsible for or even my relationships."

Beautiful post, Amanda!

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I hadn't realized that you were still writing on here with some regularity and I had to read all of those posts (the ones since Mama Sings began). Anyways, it was just good to hear from your soul again!!!

:)Beautiful woman of God that you are!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Great description!

Wish I could fly over there and run w/ya!

Just read your library story...wow! That was crazy. It reminded me of "it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it."

Don't let her keep you away though. Maybe next time you will get someone else...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


conviction & forgiveness
coming back to the heart of worship
NEW
Resonate Community Church
a husband from the boondocks
Great news from my Dad!
Father's Day with the kids
Dreaming the impossible
Painting/decorating/being a mommy
my internal compass

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: