Wednesday, June 20, 2007
a husband from the boondocks
The very first time I met my husband, I fell in love with his smile. If you know him, you know he smiles constantly. He is one of those people that always has a smile. And I don't know about you, but I sure need someone like that in my life and I am so blessed that my husband is that person! Not only did I notice his smile but I noticed his slow way of talking and his heavy, Texas accent. People don't always know I am from Texas. I don't really have the accent but Jeremy does and now so does our four year old son. We have a friend with a little girl named Bella. You should hear Josiah say her name!

Anyway, I knew I was in love with a country boy from the boondocks when I heard my husband say, "I raised pigs while I was growing up." Yes, I will never forget this day because for about three months I thought he said, "I raced pigs while I was growing up." Then one day while we were engaged and visiting my parents in Houston, I said, "Mom, Jeremy raced pigs when he was a kid!" All of the sudden, Jeremy looked at me with a crazy look on his face and said, "No, I didn't. What are you talking about?" I reminded him of when he told me that when we first met and he said, "I RAISED pigs, no raced!" Well, if you ask me, I still think the way he said those two words sounded exactly the same but what do I know? I'm just a city girl, born and raised.

Then there was the time Jeremy told me how many people were in his graduating class and how he used to make out with girls and have parties out in the pasture on their land. Or how is Mom owned the only Beauty Shop in town and how his Sister was the Rodeo Queen. That's when it really sank in. Oh and two years ago, he drove me to the small Texas town he grew up in and as soon as he referred to the "Drag" they drove up and down, I knew. I was married to a boy raised in the boondocks!

And one more story for you. A few years ago Jeremy was talking about his boyhood years and told me that he had a Mama cow he was responsible for and she was about to deliver a calf. So one morning he woke up and before he went to school, he checked on her. He said he knew she was close and all day at school he was distracted because he knew she was going to deliver that baby calf. When he got home from school, that's what He did. He helped her and a new baby calf was born. It's funny because when I think of that, I am totally grossed out! Yuck! I don't like animals but his childhood dream was to be a vet.

Jeremy can fix anything, anything. He can build anything, anything! He has a heart of gold and he is the hardest working man I have ever met in my life. Yesterday morning he left the house at 5am and did not get home last night until ten minutes until eleven. This morning he left at 4:45am because he wanted to make sure he was there to help some guys load his sheet rock truck. I'm so proud of him. I just can't help lovin' that man!

Little Big Town is one of my favorite bands. I LOVE this band and LOVE singing all their songs. They kind of remind me of a Fleetwood Mac, who I also LOVE! Here is one of their songs called, "Boondocks". When I see this video or hear this song, I can't help but think of my husband, a real country boy, who adores Hank Williams Jr. and Johnny Cash. Born and raised, he's a real country boy and I would not want to be married to anyone else! I am so blessed!

And that's why I adore him! The man may know NOTHING about the world of technology but he can deliver a calf for crying out loud! Now that's a man's man!



And look what he has made of me! I caught half of those on my very own bait cast pole and I helped filet them too with our electric filet knife. See, a city girl can be taught!

Labels: ,


  posted at 9:35 AM
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Gwen said...

I really loved reading this post. My husband is similar in the fact that he is really a country boy at heart. He was raised in the suburbs so no delivering calfs or anything but he is not a city boy that goes to an office everyday. (not that there is anything wrong with that,) He is a blue collar hard working fix anything man. I love that about him as well!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

I had 14 people in my high school graduating class. How many did Jeremy have? *smile*

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Sounds like you got yourself a great man there! I LOVE Little Big Town, too!! I love the picture of y'all with the fish. That was really cute!

Blessings to you and yours~
Karen

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Ahhh... yes... I just LOVE Little Big Town too. They were incredible to see in concert and my sister and I can't wait to go again!!

I, too, fell in love with a country boy and his smile still makes me melt!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Your husband sounds like a great guy, and blessed to have a wife who recognizes and appreciates his unique qualities. I need to work on that with my husband- just appreciating him for the wonderful man that he is instead of dwelling on his shortcomings.

Have a happy first day of summer:-)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

He sounds similar to my husband, who also grew up raising pigs. He loves to fish too! Another reason we should live closer to each other. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


Great news from my Dad!
Father's Day with the kids
Dreaming the impossible
Painting/decorating/being a mommy
my internal compass
Happy!
I found myself in You
My heart is full
Just a note
Summer is here!

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: