Sunday, March 18, 2007
Step into the water
A few years ago I read an incredible book by Bruce Wilkinson called The Dream Giver. The book is all about pursuing your God give dreams and leaving behind all that is comfortable. Unfortunately, when we pursue our dreams we come across something Bruce Wilkinson refers to as "Border Bullies". At the border of the land of comfort, we find friends and family who love us very much, giving us every reason to not cross over to the land of the unknown. The land of the unknown is where are dreams are born!

We have now shared with our entire family that we will be leaving the "land of comfort" and heading out into the "land of unknown". This land of unknown is where we KNOW the Lord has called us. We are following a dream, we are following a calling and as we do that, many are going to struggle with our decision. As we have explained this new journey we are taking, we have heard many, many "buts and whattifs". "But what about this and what about that?" "What if this happens or this happens?" The most painful part is hearing those you love remind you of mistakes you have made in the past. Reminding you of all the times you have fallen on your face and even questioning whether or not you really have heard from God.

We knew they would be waiting to meet us at the border, we were prepared. But I was not prepared for how much their opinions would hurt. Just last night I stood on my front lawn and listened to a family member tell me that everything we were wanting to do could be done in the land of comfort. Face to face with a border bully. Finally I explained that he/she would have to sit back and watch us cross over because we were going and no one would stop God's plan for our lives.

Wow. This is hard. This is much harder than I expected. I would much rather have all of our loved ones happy for us and excited for us. Instead they are scared for us. They are afraid we will mess up or get hurt. They are afraid we have heard wrong. But this is what FAITH is all about. This is truly the time where we can't listen to all the voices. There is only one voice we can listen to and it's our Heavenly Father's.

When the Israelites came to the Jordan River, it overflowed all of it's banks. After their long wanderings in the wilderness, they finally reach the Jordan. As the Levitical Priests stepped into the water, the River dried up and they were able to cross. It wasn't UNTIL the Priests stepped in, that the overflowing water stopped coming. (Joshua 3:14-17)

So it's time. It's time step into the waters. I can't imagine how the Israelites felt as they followed the Levitcal Priests. This morning I tried to imagine what their faces looked like as they saw the flooded Jordan. It wasn't just a river, it was a flooded river with fast flowing waters. There must have been things going on in their minds. "How will we get across this river? It's just not possible. But we will trust. We believe God is going to make a way." And what about the Levitical Priests? When Joshua told them to STAND in the river, I am sure they were a little concerned. But they did what they were told and as they stepped in, the water stopped and they stood on firm, dry ground.

As we step into the waters, I will think of the Israelites who paved the way for me. We can learn a lot from those stubborn, worn out, blessed Israelites! For I know that if we are obedient and we step in, the raging waters WILL STOP.

Labels:


  posted at 8:57 AM
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Christy said...

girl awesome post today! I was able to take my baby to church this morning and we were able to go as a family. It was such a blessing. I haven't been in church since Dec. 17th and I was so ready to be back. I love my church family and always find such encouragement from them. Jeremy and I can relate to all your writing about. People have often told us how irresponsible we are especially now that we have a little boy and I am not working. We have no health insurance and are praying we can get ar kids for Piercen once our insurance terminates on the 30th this month. We have had those tell us that because we have no certain income that we will face finacial battles..... its been tough on us and its brough me doubt in what we are doing but just like you said only ONE voice is the one to listen to and all the others screaming in our ears are those of fear, doubt, discouragement. The peace I find is that being in Gods perfect will is all that matters and those things are not of God. When you lead someone to the Lord, watch a soul walk an isle and give his/her heart to Jesus, or SHOUT from the freedom they finally feel it is ALL worth it. I always tell people God will never tell them what is best for our lives until he has FIRST told us!! If we aren't in HIS will he will tell us first before he tells any of our family and friends. Since having Piercen and seeing God work in our personal lives and in our ministry my parents FINALLY support us 100%. Jeremy resigned from pastoring (we were hurt BADLY) and stepped out on faith in full time evangelism. It was then he could work in our lives, sent us a son, and continues to bless us beyond measure. Get your cup out, God is fixing to fill it I promise you. When he does it will spill over and those who doubt and fear will witness the goodness of Jesus and then maybe they too will lay down the things that could very well possibly be holding them back from fulfilling Gods perfect plan for his/her life as well because of doubt and fear. I love you my friend! I have my ideas of what I think is fixing to take place and I pray that as you both listen to that still small voice and it will drown out all the other things you may hear as you step into the water!!! I THANK him and praise HIM that there are still those today who will leave the comfort zones of life and minister. It wasn't comforable when our savior was bleeding and dying for us on the cross but he did it for you and he did it for me. The least I can do is TRUST IN HIM!!! I love you my friend!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Paula said...

I am so proud of you!! I only know a smidged of your life and I know God has and is doing BIG BIG things. I am anxious for your family. All good things to come!!

You are also such an encouragement. That I have to say thank you!! I do pray and long for the day we will meet and I finally get to hug you.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger uuu said...

It's easier to have doubts, because people forget how BIG God is!!!!! Sometimes our human minds forget that we must FOLLOW God -- not what is comfortable! It does hurt when we don't feel encouraged by our family and friends in Christ... but with God on our side, there's nothing to fear!!!

I don't know what your step of faith is, my friend, but I know your spirit -- and it is so willing! God is about to use you and your husband in a BIG way, of that I have no doubt!!!!!! Still praying..... and sending encouragement!!!! :)

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

Great...awesome post! I love it!

I can't wait to hear what is going on in your family's life!

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so admire your faith in Jesus. I'm sorry if your have been hurt by your family and friends reactions, but hopefully in time they will come around to realize you are doing what God has called you to do. You're in my prayers.

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words from a Friend,

How can words express the friendship we have shared. What words can we find to say the things that were not said. How can I question if you hear God speak or is He silent. What questions will I ask Him about you when I see His face. What will be said of me when my friends meet Him. Promises made and promises kept. Finding a true peace when I think of you. Wishing that all is perfect in your life. I ask God, what can I do for my friend, I ask Him what can I give her, what can I do for her....and He speaks. When she is happy laugh with her, when she is sad, cry with her. When she needs, give and when she asks, answer. Hold her up to me because that is when she is at her best-when she is close to me. Carry her troubles for her for if they are heavy she may need help. Help her to remember my words and tell her that what she does is for me. When the responsiblity is to serve you will be served. When the task is to bless you will be blessed. When the prayers are said, they will be answered.
He does not lead to make you fall, He does not speak so that you can not hear. He sees both of your hearts and He is proud. I am proud to call you friend.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Dionna said...

Amanda - I can't wait to hear what God has in store for you and your family and where He is leading you.
I had a friend just recently tell me about this book - and I think I should read it. I struggle - like you - with "border bullies" in my life who don't understand me following God's calling. Well, actually, they think it's great until it interferes with them. :)
Be strong, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


PART II Warning signs
Part I Warning signs
Ching-a-ring chaw!
How can you step out in faith? How?
enough for one day
Amanda's playlist
We knew then and we know now!
birth
Vacation week
It's all about me!

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: