Thursday, March 29, 2007
Nothing Left to Lose
If my heart is hurting, if my mind is racing, it gets me there. If anxiety has overtaken me, it gets me there. If I am feeling reflective, sad, happy or even angry, it can take me to the place I need to be. I don't need time away, I don't need a vacation, I just need a song. For some, it's painting a picture, taking a long walk or going for a run. We all have something that brings us to a place of worship.

I remember having a Tears for Fears cassette tape when I was in elementary school that I played over and over and over again. There was a song I would rewind constantly just so I could listen to it multiple times. The song was Everybody Wants to Rule The World. When I hear the song now, I think of my parents when they were still married. I think about the mobile home we lived in, the school I went to and my baggy Lee Jeans. MTV was a new thing and the only thing aired were music videos. I remember every detail of the video. I can see it now in my mind like it was yesterday. It will always be one of my favorite songs.

While growing up, my Dad listened to Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Three Dog Night, CCR, Freddy Mercury, Moody Blues and Steve Winwood. My Dad used to play darts with his friends and drink beer into the early morning hours. Often I feel asleep on the couch listening to his music. I even remember watching the Live Aid Concert with him back in 1985. It's hard to believe that U2 was around back then and Madonna too. Just recently PBS aired the Live Aid concert. As I watched it, it took me back to my childhood. A few days ago I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 on the radio. Instantly I smiled. The song reminds me of Live Aid, MTV and what life was like in 1985. This is when I truly experience the music. There is no other way to explain it except that the music connects me and I even find myself experiencing a moment with God.

Lately I have had my iPod attached to me non-stop. My mind is full of lists, things I need to do in order to make the move from Dallas to Austin. At times I feel a bit overwhelmed. I find myself needing to get to that place with the Lord. Music does that for me. It's not always Christian music. Instead it may be Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac or Nothing Left to Lose by Matt Kearney. I find songs that have meaning and I make them my own. Music is one of the most powerful tools God uses in my life to get me to that place I need to be.

We serve a creative God. I truly believe he meets us right where we are at and loves us just as we are. He knows me better than anybody. He was whispering in my ear even when I was in my mother's womb. Music was his gift for me. I am so thankful that I can read music, sing it and enjoy it because music is what gets me to that place. Running will help me unwind, painting a canvas will make me sit somewhere for a while instead of constantly being on the go. But music does something so much more for me than those other things. Music connects me and almost always brings me to a place of worship.

So today I would like to share a song with you that has taken me to that place I need to be. This song reminds me of what God is doing in my life this very minute. It reminds me of all that I have to look forward to and it's confirmation that God is doing something brand new. Years from now I will hear this song and it will take me to the place where I am today. It will remind me of what God did for me and how He mapped out every single detail of my life.

If my heart is hurting, if my mind is racing, it gets me there. If anxiety has overtaken me, it gets me there. If I am feeling reflective, sad, happy or even angry, it can take me to the place I need to be. I don't need time away, I don't need a vacation, I just need a song.

click here to listen to Nothing Left To Lose by Mat Kearney. Every single word of this songs means something for this time in my life.

This song takes me to the place I need to be. The words say it all for this time in my life. As I look back over the past three years, this song answers all of my questions. Thank you Lord for speaking to me through music.
I can''t listen to this song without getting tears in my eyes. Thank you for believing in me no matter what. While others gave up on me, you never did. I would be nothing without you Lord, nothing. Many don't understand right now what we are doing. They doubt whether or not we have heard your voice, but I know we have heard it LOUD and we have heard it CLEAR.

It's time to pack up the Uhaul and go.


Labels:


  posted at 11:25 AM
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I absolutely love that song. They've been playing it a lot on KLTY lately. I'm glad that song gets you where you need to be. I'm so happy for you and your family that you've been able to hear God's voice and follow his lead. I'll be praying for you on your new adventure. God Bless!

Kelly

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

Listening to music gets me to that place of worship as well. My Ipod has been going with me everywhere lately as well. It just really helps keep me focused and on the track I need to be...God's track.

I'm soo happy for you! I can't wait to continue to follow this journey! Pack up that Uhaul and follow God's lead!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I feel the same way about music. My parents listened to the same kind of music and so much I it I love too for the same reasons as you.

I need to get an Ipod! Don't you feel sorry for me? How do I live without one? I think it would be great to have while I'm running.

MTV sure has gone downhill since the 80's, huh.

I'm so excited for you and your family!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music does the same for me so I understand.

Oh, and that picture is beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


Church people and the Roomba!
time to start packing!
Yes, we are moving!
another post about my friends!
Blessed
BLAKE LEWIS
Okay here's a hint!
RAIN by Rob Bell
For sure, for sure!
Step into the water

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: