Tuesday, May 29, 2007
A Five course meal
It's never fun dealing with a house full of sick kids and all three of my kiddos are sick. Ava Beth threw up the night before last, a lot, then got a high fever and had fever early this morning. The Ezekiel woke up at 2am with a fever. Last night Jeremy slept on the couch and I had all three kids with me. Ava Beth was on a pallet directly next to my bed, with a big blue bowl next to her in case she threw up again. Poor thing carried that bowl around with her every where she went yesterday. Then Ezekiel was in bed with me because I wanted him close by since he had a fever. I don't sleep well with kids in my bed and Ezekiel sleeps horrible unless he is in his crib. Josiah slept on a pallet at the foot of my bed. Needless to say but worth saying, I did not sleep very much at all last night.

Nothing can bring you down faster than a house full of sick kids and a night of no sleep. It's days like this that I have a hard time smiling and when one can't seem to find a smile, one is in desperate need of lifting. Something about my countenance that can make or break me. My Mom has always told me that my face always gives away what I am feeling. She has the amazing ability to put on a smile no matter what but, I struggle. My kids feel pretty bad already so seeing their Mama mope around isn't going to help. They need to see me happy. They need to see that I can find joy no matter what the circumstance is. Right now, I can teach them to be thankful even in the midst of trial.

So on a day like today, I decided to pull out my recipe book. Lord knows I need recipes right now for some joy, some contentment, some rest, some peace, and some strength. That's a five course meal right there! And since I don't have my Recipe Book memorized, I have to sometimes search for that perfect one to give me what I need. Recipes to fulfill that hunger!

I love http://www.biblegateway.com/ because I can look at all the different translations. I usually read New King James Version or New Living Translation but I love The Message. Sometimes I need those verses to come alive and The Message translation makes it so simple that I can apply it to my own life. So here's what I found today to help me through the day!

My Five course meal

SOME JOY
Psalm 43: Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God—soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God. (The Message)

SOME CONTENTMENT
Philippians 4:11 I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles (The Message)

SOME REST
Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength;They shall mount up with wings like eagles,They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.. (New King James)

SOME PEACE
John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (New Living)

SOME STRENGTH
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me


AND now I am pretty full! That's the best nourishment I've had all day.

Labels:


  posted at 1:19 PM
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

There has GOT to be something going on out there. We've been dealing with non-stop flu and colds for almost four weeks now! I can so relate to that disgusting, weary feeling. I'm glad you found comfort in those verses... Sometimes, that's the only thing that can get me through the day.

PS I can't hide my emotions either. I have a very expressive face...

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Absolutely beautiful, my friend, beautiful! I am so glad to read that you got a tummy full from the best Recipe Book!! :) And, thanks for sharing about Bible Gateway too.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Paula said...

I am sorry your babies are sick.

I can TOTALLY realte about showing feelings. I don't hide them at all.

I love your solution. Great scriptures for each emotion.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Jen. I have a feeling we have lots in common. I can tell with what you write. It's hard to hide my feelings.

Brenda, you are always full of so much encouragement and support for me. Thank you my friend!

Paula, we have got to hook up on the phone this week. Good grief I miss our chats!!!

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

I really enjoyed this post...it was very fulFILLING!
You have a great way of using the word to cope through the hardships of everyday life...I think that's pretty amazing!!
Thank you for sharing all that you go through, you don't even know how much it helps me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


My recipe book
Not sure what I am doing
Hold on a second!
I almost forgot!
James 4 & 5
O Praise Him (All This For A King)
honesty
blogger/gmail/google trouble
American Idol finale party
James 3

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: