Friday, January 12, 2007
Tagged about a book!
(I NEVER do this and probably will never do it again but this is for Paula!)

I have been tagged by my awesome friend Paula!
Instructions:
1) Grab the book closest to you.
2) Open to page 123, go down to the 4th sentence.
3) Post the text of the following 3 sentences on your blog.
4) Name the author and book title.
5) Tag 3 people to do the same.

I finished this book in three days. I loved it! It's Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. This guy is the most incredible story teller I have ever read. I can't wait to read his other stuff. My page 123 is part of a conversation that Donald is explaining so I had to go down a little further than the 4th sentence or it would have been really short and really confusing!

"There's a lot. I will keep it short, " I started. "Jesus said to feed the poor and heal the sick. I have never done very much about that. Jesus said to love those that persecute me. I tend to lash out, especially if I feel threatened, you know, if my ego gets threatened. Jesus did not mix his spirituality with politics. I grew up doing that. It got in the way of the central message of Christ. I know that was wrong, and I know that a lot of people will not listen to the words of Christ because of people like me , who know Him, carry our own agendas into the conversation rather than just relaying the message Christ wanted to get across. There's a lot more, you know?"

I have highlighted so much of this page. It made me think about a lot. When I was younger, I was NEVER open to the fact that a democrat could be a Christian. There are so many things I have allowed to get in the way of the way I PORTRAY Christ. In fact, I have failed in many ways. But, now I am changing, my way of thinking is changing, the way I look at others and treat others is changing. I refuse to be the image of that kind of Christian that so much of the world feels judged and condemned by. I want to change that!! That is why I love this book and the heart of Donald Miller. He's wrestling with text and he is thinking for HIMSELF! I don't know very many Christians that do that.

And now I tag my Mom, Jenn and Stacey!

  posted at 4:36 PM
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Thank you dear sweet Amanda. I KNOW you did this with love because you are not one to be tagged. So thank you.
I have this book on my birthday list. So I hope to read it soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name:
Amanda

Location: Austin, Texas


Mommy, Mama, Mandi, Amanda, Babe and whatever else you want to call me! How do I have time to blog with three kids under the age of four? I'm up until midnight and usually later!

My complete profile

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from somethingbeautifulblog. Make your own badge here.
Fashion Statement (My Mom)
Beth Moore
Resonate Community
The Food Network
BibleGateway
Dallas Cowboys


HULK HOGAN
Side effects
Still here with not a lot of sleep!- (revised)
Happy 4th Birthday Josiah
Our 2006 story
36 weeks with Ezekiel
Just a picture for now, but it's a cute one!
And here's to honesty!
Merry Christmas
Ava Beth is two years old today!

October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
May 2012

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006

Subscribe with Bloglines



Powered by FeedBlitz


Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: